Specialists Incentive Description
SIP’s Board of Directors developed an incentive program in 2002 when SIP’s year-end financials were favorable. In late 2011, the SIP Board of Directors decided to redesign the Incentive Program to align the incentive measures with the goals of SIP. Patient Satisfaction projects and involvement with the Sutter Community Connect (EPIC) eHR were added, along with a few selected HEDIS measures. There are separate HEDIS measures for adults and peds.
The incentive plan, now known at the Performance Compensation Plan, changed in 2017 and is outlined in the documents below for both PCPs and Specialists. Physicians must now complete one meeting every six months in order to qualify for that incentive period (Mid-Year: January – June and Year-End: July - December).
Please take a few moments to read about the changes to this program and how it will impact you. Please note: Any distribution through the Incentive Program is contingent upon SIP’s overall financial performance and applies to all SIP physicians.
- Continuing quality award for measuring BP in adults: and when billing telehealth, add CPT II code G9745 in addition to your E&M code to exclude that encounter from your blood pressure denominator.
- Note – for mid-year 2021 only the months of May and June will be used to calculate the incentive for blood pressure.
- Patient satisfaction surveys based upon iPad, email, and text surveys using “Would recommend”
- SIP will pay you to go to virtual journal clubs or dinner meetings to foster the joy of medicine
- One innovation project every 6 months
- One member meeting in each 6 month period is required to receive the incentive award for that period.
- All amounts below are yearly, paid in two installments
The board agreed that SIP must continue to aggressively improve its quality metrics to benefit patient care as well as to maximize SIP and practice income. And since we began to include specialists in measuring BP, our control of hypertension has improved resulting in better health for our patients – and a larger incentive pool for our physicians. Accordingly SIP is continuing to provide awards for measuring BP at E&M visits: ~$10K for measuring and documenting BP on ≥ 95% of adult patients, decreasing linearly to $2K for 50%. Documentation requires SCC or using CPT2 codes. Adjusted by patient volume factor*.
As you know, SIP can now survey ALL your patients using iPad, email, and text surveys so that every practice should have enough responses to understand how they are doing and to participate in this portion of the SIP incentive. Each practice will receive an award based upon the “would recommend” question. The maximum award will be ~$15K for performance at the 90th percentile, decreasing to ~$2K at the 15th percentile. Adjusted by patient volume factor*.
In recognition of the importance to SIP of a unified medical record, SIP continues to award to those practices who have deployed SCC an amount equal to the monthly SCC license fees plus $3K. Not adjusted by patient volume factor.
In addition to $300 2x/yr for completing a wellness survey, SIP promotes physician collaboration and camaraderie by paying for SIP physicians’ virtual dinners at journal clubs, practice meetings, and/or discussion meetings that include wellness, up to $40 each, once every 2 months. Not adjusted by patient volume factor.
SIP encourages innovation projects that improve quality, patient satisfaction, and/or physician wellness – other great ideas are welcome also. You can do one project every 6 months. Adjusted by patient volume factor*.
All amounts are subject to change based upon the availability of funds.
To receive a performance compensation payment physicians must meet minimum standards:
- Attend one meeting in each half year to receive an award for that period. $300 per meeting will be awarded to PCPs and specialists for each designated meeting attended, except for duplicated PCP meetings. Member meetings are available for both PCPs and specialists. All member meetings each half year are available for specialists to attend, including those that have somewhat more of a PCP focus.
* The specialist volume factor is 1.0 for unique SIP patient volumes ≥65, decreasing arithmetically to 0.5 for a unique SIP patient volume of 6.
*** The actual cost of a monthly SCC contract is calculated as average of the total cost for all qualifying physicians in a practice.
Performance Compensation Program awards are not guaranteed and are dependent upon SIP’s financial performance.
2021 Printable Incentive Documents
- 2021 Mid-Year Incentive - Specialists (Updated 10/8/21)